The Thunderbird Chronicles: The Resurrection

Thunderbird and Focus chillin' in February.
Today is a day of celebration of miracles for many people. It is the day that a political upstart from Nazareth trolled the Romans after they executed him, and he brushed himself off to rise to be the Executive Vice President of Christianity. At least, that is how the story goes. It is also the day the Thunderbird has risen from the ashes of winter, cruising around the city streets appearing to doubting Thomas-es that were sure Bird was dead; Long live the Thunderbird!

How did we get to today from the last posting. Well, it maybe no surprise that when you live in the city and parking is tough and you really have no where to tinker, it is the Bird who gets the short end of the stick. So, I parked Bird knowing that I probably would not drive it much if at all throughout the winter; and that I was going to take a few more years off Bird's life. It is no surprise that is what happened. The further we plunged into winter, the worse Bird's chances of being driven became. Eventually, the battery was getting flat and it would not start without a jump; soon there after the battery was dead. So, Bird sat out in the urban wilderness to fend for itself. However, when it snowed, I shoveled Bird out and cleaned it off. Other days, I would go sit in it to say hi and tell it "spring is coming, you will rise like a Phoenix." I would get questions about how Bird was doing, and all I can say is that it there, Bird will be fine.

Today was that day; a beautiful Sunday, a day associated with the Phoenix, on a day associated with a resurrection. Perhaps I was looking for "divine intervention" when I unrealistically thought that Bird would start with a jump...no chance. Bird was truly dead. So, I went to the local part store and purchased a new battery and installed it. I inserted the key and with one turn, signs of life everywhere: door chimes, flashing lights, gauges alive with movement and information. I turned the key further and the engine roared to LIFE! I let the Bird idle for while and everything looked no worse for wear...a little dusty with the tires needing some air.

Bird has risen
I went for a drive to "clear out the cobwebs", get a little gas and put air in the tires. Bird got a couple of glances at the gas station. However, the reality is you never know what kind of glances those are. Are they the "wow, I remember that car; haven't seen those in awhile, cool" looks; or are they the "damn, what a mess, people still drive those?" looks. Nevertheless, it felt good. Oddly enough, Bird felt a little better than when I last drove it. However, not really possible in reality, but that was the feeling I had. It felt more settled, it shifted a little easier. Perhaps I'm making it up in my mind because I want that to be case after not driving it for months. Who cares. The reality is Bird is alive!

Comments

Popular Posts