The Thunderbird Cronicles: One Percenter Problems

I realize as I type this that in the context of our current political climate, economic inequality and future short and long term uncertainty, I am very fortunate to live in a place where the citizens try to have a productive public/private relationship that benefits everyone. It's obviously not perfect, but I will not let perfect be the enemy of the good. There are many across the nation and here in Massachusetts that feel disenfranchised, may or may not lose their safety nets, be beaten up for their identity or political views and countless other things our collective will and political system has brought. That I am in a position to fool around and make funnies about driving around in some second-hand hunk of metal disguised as a car without really worrying about "am I going to be pulled over and somehow end up shot?"  is somewhat sobering. It doesn't make it impossible, but I don't worry about it which can't be said universally across the U.S. Also, I am here in a city where the cost-of-living is in the upper echelon of the most expensive cities in the country and the fact we are able to eek out a comfortable existence is definitely a "good" problem to have. There are a lot of people in this country that can't say any of that whether they live in a city or rural community. So with that said, I continue to remind myself to keep it all in mind. Now, on to the Bird.

I have owned the T-Bird (and still thinking about a name) for two months already and it seems to have gone by rather fast. I haven't done any additional work on it recently, but have been driving it on the weekends without much problem. However, I fear there is an overheating issue growing. When idling in traffic it runs warm, but it stabilizes. In reading the forums, it is likely a new radiator will be in the cards at some point in the future especially given what the Valvoline shop tech observed when the radiator was flushed (HERE).

The things that you realize when owning two cars in the city is that when space is limited you park away from your house and it's likely you don't see that car for a week. My driveway situation is frustrating as it is shared so I don't park the Bird there; hell, I don't even park my ST there. You eventually become prone to thoughts like: "did someone hit it"; "need to make time to drive it"; "where did I park it"; "I hear a car alarm, is that mine"; "when winter comes shoveling out two or three cars is really going to suck." Then the passing thought comes and goes just as quickly: "Do I spend a little extra to have a project car stored indoors? Damn, I don't even do that for the ST! The Bird is going to be outside and like it!"

No place for coffee?
This morning, I did go for a drive (technically making it a Sunday drive) and it was fine. Just a small cruise in and around the streets of Dorchester in the early daylight hours. Temps were good outside and for the car, I do enjoy the clutch action and gotten used to the shifting, but the ride is squeaky. When driving, one of the mundane things I can't get over is that it has no cup-holders. They were long invented by the time this car was built, but they were not standard equipment. I don't mind that, it's just an interesting observation of the evolution of what we expect as standard equipment on cars. It's a small "modern" convenience that a lot of people would find essential to their travels; especially commuting to work on a Monday morning and having a place to put their coffee. In any case, it does fit with the theme that the Thunderbird was a GT car meant for the driver, who was busy driving and had no time for coffee. However, it does beg the question: if you have branded the car as a "personal luxury car", as Ford did, one of those luxuries would be a cup holder...wouldn't it? The car comes with automatic ride control, automatic dimming rear view mirrors, CD player, but no cup holder.

 Now, for a period correct reference:



 

Comments

Popular Posts