The Thunderbird Chronicles

Damn, it has been two years plus since my last posting. Meh, it is of no consequence; the internet allows you to pick up right where you left off with little punishment. However, you can not say that about everything and you can not say that about anything from 1992.  Why specifically 1992, I will get there soon enough.

Anyone that has read this blog, knows my interest in cars which is highlighted by the Sunday Driver series of posts; so, it would be no surprise to some that over the past eight or nine months, I regained a healthy interest in older cars. Modern cars are great, safe and efficient and I love my ST. Yet, as we move forward with more cars being an extension of personal handheld devices packed with distractions, coupled with the march towards more autonomous vehicles, a need to re-connect with the old school became quite strong. So I started looking; looking for a running project, looking for a car to "save", looking for a car to "wrench" on in some spare time. I was interested in classic cars from the 1960's or cars from the 1980's-90's (aka my youth) in particular and started window-shopping car buying sites, Craigslist, car club sites looking at all different types of cars.

1966 Ford Galaxie
Two choices continuously spoke to me: Ford Galaxies and Ford Thunderbirds. More specifically a 1966 Galaxie 2 Door Hardtop and 1989-1995 Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe.  If I am honest, two words describe why: Design and Nostalgia. For me, the 1966 Galaxie is a classic, clean, beautiful design that is emblematic of the American full size automobile. Full stop. The Thunderbird is a car that I always thought was cool and it was one of my favorite models as a kid due to my appreciation for Bill Elliott as a race car driver. Watching him set records, win races, awards and a championship in a Thunderbird was rather impression making. Also, who would not be interested in a guy with nicknames like "Million Dollar Bill" and "Awesome Bill from Dawsonville."

My 1992 Ford Thunderbird SC
Well I did end up choosing one, but in time, I will have both (let the meme's rain down). A couple of weeks ago I went ahead and purchased a "Craigslist Special" 1992 Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe (SC) with 180,000 miles and the 5-speed manual (Save the Manuals!). It's a beater that has spent all 25 years of it's life in the northeast traversing the confines of Rhode Island. Yeah, this is no California car, or garage queen. This car has seen a lot of roads and a lot of winters. Also according to the previous owner, it spent some time sitting outside on his farm much to his chagrin, which is almost like death to any car in these parts. Nevertheless, the car runs and drives, but needs some work mechanically and in terms of aesthetics. It's Supercharged 3.8L V6 runs strong, is clean and has no leaks. However, a common issue on the SC was blown head gaskets. So, we will see how long the words, strong, clean and no leaks apply. We will see how much punishment I endure dealing with tracking down discontinued parts, time/energy, bloody knuckles, conflicting internet advice and the rest of it.

Over the course of time, I am going to chronicle the ownership of this car and share my experiences on what it's like to live with it in the city of Boston. I don't have a vision of a build on this car at this point, but we will see in the coming months. At minimum, I want to get it to the point where I feel happy taking it on a spirited Sunday drive. Some work I will pass off to shops, other work I will do on my own as my schedule allows. Regardless, it should be an adventure; and if the first day of ownership and how I bought the car is of any indication...oh man...the ride is going to be very interesting. I will share that story next time.

Comments

Popular Posts