Movie Curmudgeon

You know you are getting old when you start saying "they don't make 'em like they used to" or the countless permutations of that saying. Pick any subject matter, and there will be person saying it. Generally, that leads to a much larger question about the nature of things: time, society, ourselves, evolution.  However, I will forgo trying to get too philosophical and stick with a topic we all experience, movies.

I enjoy films just as much as the next person, but what is out there these days? The last time I actually sat in the movie theater or made a point to go see a movie was Senna. (HERE)  One can argue that documentary-type films are a different experience but the point remains the same. I am sure there are some current films out there that are real pieces of art but currently not motivated to try and find them; that is on me for being beat down by lame ass movies. It is not like there never were terrible movies that you would not ever admit to watching back in the day.

Nevertheless, there are a few movies that tend to stay with you through all time. They re-enter your consciousness and you experience them in a new context when you see them again. Some become part of the collective culture. For my money, these are usually defined in instant recognition of quotes. For example, "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse" or "you're gonna need a bigger boat." or "what's in the box?"

This brings me to the point of my ramble. Over the past few days I have been thinking about the movie Se7en; randomly having thoughts about the characters played by Morgan Freeman, Brad Pitt and Kevin Spacey. I have thoughts about Freeman's character and his struggle over apathy as he approaches retirement, Pitt's character and his cocksure confidence of his world view and Spacey's character's approach to piety and his presumed mental illness.

I have also had specific thoughts about the "car scene". I won't give you some film snob analysis as we all have our opinions on its meaning and impact, but I will say some movies, or simply, scenes get you thinking. One can get to thinking not only about the escape that movies provide or its relevance to society no matter what decade, but also how we all impact the world to varying degrees, whether it be how we impact the world of the person we may share space with to complete unknown strangers we pass on the street.  If you have not seen this movie, check it out. It is after all almost 20 years old and surely there are some folks that are reading here that have not seen it. If you have seen it, perhaps the fresh eyes of time passed will yield a new experience. Nevertheless, at the very least check out the "car scene".  Feel free to share your thoughts.

Comments

Popular Posts