Sunday Driver: I Can See Nova Scotia!

Well there was no Sunday Driver last week. I could have gone somewhere last Sunday as I was on vacation, but I was busy checking out roads lost to time and nature (here) and returning home from a trip to Western Massachusetts reacquainting myself with good ole' Route 2 which is a favorite and prominently featured in the Sunday Driver series (here). Today, there was only one New England state left to tackle and what better place to go when you are coming off a vacation but to Vacationland, aka Maine; a place where Tina Fey can see Nova Scotia from her resort window.

Nevertheless, it is a place I have been to numerous times whether it was shopping in Kittery or white water rafting on the Kennebec, and have enjoyed each of my visits. Everyone that I have ever met from Maine treats you like they have known you for years which always left an impression on me; today's visit was just more of the same (more on that later). There are several trips I would like to take through here, but today I focused on the drive from Kittery to Kennebunkport. The route up there was simple enough...Route 1 North the whole way up. This is again familiar territory and has been used in other trips in MA and NH (here). The interstate is quicker but I like traveling Route 1 because of its bygone era roadside attractions and the history attached with the route.

Sunrise at Kennebunk Beach, ME
I get to Kittery around 4:30am and make my way past the numerous outlets and antique stores. As I push further northward through York, Ogunquit and Wells a theme emerges: vacation rentals, resorts and many, many antique stores. There are also glimmers of coast line intermittently visible between trees, resorts and camping grounds. As far as the drive goes, it is pretty straight forward, nothing really exciting yet. I then take a right and head east on Route 9 and find my way to Kennebunk Beach and the gorgeous homes and rocky coast line just in time for sunrise. I collect some rocks (yes, I have taken to collecting rocks) take some pics and make my way through Kennebunkport and Ocean Ave. where the driving gets more interesting. The speeds are very low but the roads are actually a pleasure to drive on. They are tight, windy, have elevation changes and take you through small town New England with a view of the ocean. When you get a little further out and more inland, it gives you a taste of old school country road  driving: Long, wavy straights with multiple narrow junctions asking to explored...especially at this time of day.

In my travel there were two transportation related attractions that caught my fancy. Wells Antique Auto Museum in Wells and the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport. Obviously both were closed, but these are just two more reasons for me to go back sooner rather than later. The total mileage from Kittery to in and around Kennebunkport was about 40 miles. I would equate this drive with the NH Seacoast drive mixed with a little CT Quiet Corner (here). If you do choose the interstate, you can get to Kittery in less than an hour without lead-footing it from Boston and traveling through York, Wells and on through to Kennebunkport is worth your time. If you don't like the drive up, you can spend the time driving back checking out the numerous attractions that bring people up there in the first place.  


Oh, and about people from Maine leaving an impression: On my way back home I took the less scenic route (the interstate) after getting into NH. I got into MA and pulled into a rest stop where a man (from Maine) and his family also pulled into in a Focus ST. Now, there are a lot of car owners that draw a connection with other car owners that have the same vehicle (I also have a Focus ST). Websites, Meet up opportunities, forums, and Facebook pages are dedicated to such things.  He clearly had somewhere to be, but we chatted about cars and travels for a good 10 minutes; he shared some of his experiences with the vehicle, gave me good feedback to consider and let me take a picture of his ride. All of it made my morning that much better. His Red ST was a cherry on my.....yes.....my driving sundae. A Mainer....why am I not surprised.

Stills: Maine album
Moving pictures:


Comments

Popular Posts